Yes, it is true. Yes to all of the above. I know these feelings inside and out.
It can happen so easily with just one little thing that throws me off balance, or it can just BE the way I see everything about life sometimes.
Busy, Stressed, Overwhelmed used to be my middle name.
I feel it, I know it well and boy does it know me.
Back in the day, when my kids wee little tikes, I was still figuring out single parenting and my business was just launching (2003) - I was ALWAYS overwhelmed.
Not only was I overwhelmed in my life, but I am pretty sure I talked about, complained about, and lived OVERWHELM in every part of my being.
Looking back, I was complaining about this, crying about this, and wishing things were different for quite some time. I was a mess.
I was constantly juggling 2 small kids, child care, logistics, making food, cleaning up the constant mess, and trying desperately to take care of myself while still giving everything else I had to my business and my vision.
Why am I telling you this?
Well, the one thing I know is that if I can find balance, so can you.
It is not always easy, and sometimes I had to truly dig deep, cry it out and ask for help (not easy for me), but taking care of ourselves, feeding ourselves (and our families) and fitting in the things that make life flow a little smoother are totally possible, even if you can't imagine how.
Today I am going to share with you just a few things I learned (the hard way) so that you can find your own balance, radiance, health and ease in this life - with maybe less bumps in the road then I had.
In fact, what I truly want for you is GRACE, HARMONY and JOY in your life especially in your relationship with food and your body so that you have the energy and passion to share all the gifts you have in all aspects of your life.
1. Create your DREAM calendar. Now this is NOT a calendar that will SOMEDAY be yours - like a dream house. This IS a calendar that reflects what you want RIGHT NOW. Include your intentions, your work schedule, your self care, all into your ideal week.
I do this every season. I change some things based on the weather, my kids schedule and what I am currently working on.
THIS is the NUMBER 1 thing that took me out of everyday OVERWHELM. I am attaching my Ideal calendar - Fall 2014 here (I just finished it last week for the fall quarter) and I hope you sit with what yours might look like. We will dig in to this more next week so get ready to create the life you love.
2. Get some SLEEP. So often we are exhausted. Fatigue contributes to the overwhelm like nothing else. Sleep is the one things that raises our tolerance for life and all the tasks at hand. Shoot for 8 hours minimum - no I am not kidding. Even if you think that is impossible, you will find that you can get WAY more done during the day and handle all the curve balls that come your way when you are well rested.
**There is one exception. If you are a new mom, and you cannot get anywhere close to that amount of sleep, know that you are not alone. I honestly did not sleep through the night for almost 6 years. I know fatigue well. I also know that we have to get the most sleep we can and that this phase passes. I highly encourage NAPPING, asking for support, and giving yourself a break in the first year of mothering (or fathering) any chance you get. (I just didn't want to trigger you if you who have no control over your sleep.)
3. Eat HIGH VIBRATIONAL FOODS - Quick, easy and HEALTHY meals are totally possible. As I said above, we are going to dive into this one full on in 3 weeks, BUT It is so important to know that YOU can eat healthily EVEN if you are busy. If you want to live a high vibrational life, you need to feed your body just that. High vibrational food. In fact, it is how you are going to get through the business like a superstar. If BUSY is your primary excuse, get ready to let it go.
Food can be prepared in big batches, used as left overs for lunches, frozen in the freezer for those long days when you don't have time to cook, and can still TOTALLY fit into your budget. I will show you how I PROMISE.
4. SIMPLIFY. Are lives are so full of STUFF, EMAILS, PHONE CALLS. and CLUTTER. It is WAY over the top. There are so many wonderful ways to have BOUNDARIES around this, while still getting things done, keeping things tidy (less overwhelm) and deciding when we are available to our electronic communications.
Try cleaning up your space, getting rid of the old, and making room for the new. FALL is a great time for a fresh start so clean our the pantry, give away some old clothes, or de-clutter your living room. Then take a big EXHALE. Clutter is a HUGE contributor to overwhelm.
One of my favorite practices is turning off electronics for a one or two hours every evening. Take an official BREAK. Turn OFF your phone, SHUT down your computer, and simply live in the spaciousness of your freedom to relax your nervous system. Pick your times and then close up shop for just a bit.
5. Find some STILLNESS - Daily meditation for me is like my daily shower. I cleanse my body in the shower, and I cleanse my mind in my morning meditation. I shoot for 15 minutes each morning. Sometimes I can do 30, but other days I squeeze in just 5-10 minutes. I am so committed to this practice. Every morning I wake up (30 min at least before my children), take a shower, make some tea, and head to the cushion for a few minutes to find the inner stillness and connection that fuels me through the day.
This one often intimidates people, especially if you have not practiced mediation before, but I know you can find 5 minutes in the morning to begin this practice. In the upcoming weeks I will share with your some brilliant meditation tips to get you started, and a starter guided meditation. For now, just sit, turn on your timer, and breath. That is it. 5 minutes a day will change your life.
This is what I did, and that does not mean it is going to work 100% for you, so if you get an absolute "NO" when you read this, it's okay, we all have our own path to health and happiness.
there ARE also some universal truths to gain from this. You can distill what sounds like the right place for you to start. I will be cheering you on.
I will be sending you major kudos and knowing that you can find the eye of your hurricane, the inner peace even amongst the chaos and most of all the ability to take care of YOU first and foremost.
We live super busy lives these days, and it takes practice figuring out how to navigate the overwhelm. In just a few short steps and a few extra minutes per day you can create the life you LOVE and find some peace in the process.
Also, if you have any challenges to acknowledge, stories to share, and of course success to celebrate please post them here, share the wealth of your knowledge and wisdom with us.