Yoga mat in toe, organic plane snacks along side...uplift your health and happiness this summer while you hit the road for some final adventures before the back to school, fall routine, and change of weather creeps in.
Weather you are the classic ROAD TRIPPER or more of the INTERNATIONAL ADVENTURER you will find these tips help you fine tune your travel.
Personally, I get so full and inspired in my day-to-day life, that sometimes the thought of a vacation intimidates me. Because I love my HOME life so much, infused with daily practice, good food, and SUE time each and every week, sometimes I forget about how great a vacation can be for the soul.
Loving life is a wonderful gift, but taking a break is still a great health prescription. Walking away from the computer, the daily pulls of life and officially unplugging, and exploring my more adventurous side is one essential ingredient to my health plan.
I sent my retreat team a little bon voyage text this morning, my international travel buddies, as most often they sit next to me on these big trips to our annual women’s health + yoga retreat. We have our routine down. Who brings the avocado, the dark chocolate, the almond butter packets, green drinks, and the nori?
This time, it’s just me. Some may think I go over board with the super food lunches I pack for ski trips, or the elaborate snacks I take on the plane, but I am always thankful I did. The truth is, I enjoy the ability to make trips easeful, pleasurable and healthy.
Yes, I am bringing my yoga mat, my own personal stash of melatonin to help with the jet lag (it is a winner), some soothing essential oils, and some raw whey protein shakes incase I get hungry later.
What do you do when you travel? I have some great YOGINI travel tips for you below. These TRAVEL EASY tips that will enhance the rest of your summer and beyond.
This is my personal variation of a famous John Kabat Zinn quote:
Wherever you go ...there you are, so make the WHERE YOU ARE part great. It’s the only place you will ever be!!
SUMMER'S Travel Easy tips for Health and Happiness
Fueling yourself in a satiating and grounding way when you travel will not only enhance your health, but it will also keep your energy good and keep the cranky traveler at bay.
- Bring Food. Take a special trip to the store for travel snacks. Stock up on easy, portable and nutrient dense foods that you enjoy. Food such as nuts, dried fruit, avocado, nori, and Justin’s almond butter packs are foodie fuel and an asset for your travels.
- Do a little research. If you are travelling to a new city or a new country, there is plenty of info online. Eating more locally and healthful in a new place can be very exciting! Talk to the fisherman, the restaurant owners, and the local farmers and get the SCOOP. Tantalize your taste buds with new combinations and ideas with what is available in the area.
Worried about your digestion? Many complain about their digestion when on the road, or traveling about. Don’t despair. Your digestion CAN adjust. Try this:
- Hydrating is the number 1 travel tip. If there is anything that does not agree with you, drinking plenty of water will help flush it out, while also keeping your body hydrated. Many airports now have purified water refill stations so you do not have to keep using the plastic bottles. Bring an empty water bottle and fill it up after you cross security.
- Try some flax seed, probiotics, or chia seeds . Each of these supports your digestion in a different way. The flax and chia keep you from being constipated, while the probiotics protect your from foreign flora and boost your immunity. These can all be mixed with water, and taken easily on the road.
- Many essential oils really help with indigestion, and IBS symptoms. I use the DigestZen from DOTERRA. DOTERRA makes therapeutic grade oil that is both safe for topical and internal use. It is soothing and comforting for your traveling belly.
Many folks experience plenty of travel tension. From planning logistics, to leaving home, to lifting off land for air travel, tension unfortunately can create some dis-ease in your travels. Many of us are uncomfortable getting out of our comfort zones. Here are a few of my favorite tension tamers for your travel.
- Load up your IPOD with some good relaxing music, chanting, or even guided meditations. Watch your nervous system unwind as you connect mind and body.
- If you often get nervous or anxious on any particular leg of your trip, pick up some GABA at the local health food store. GABA is a natural amino acid that feed the GABA neurotransmitter, turning down the stressful anxious part of your nervous system. For faster relief, purchase the sublingual type. GABA can be used to help with sleep, stress and even a panic or anxiety attack. It works within about 20 minutes of taking and is totally safe with any medications.
- Writing about your tension can offer a deeper relationship to “what it is really about”. So often the first emotion we feel is disguising the deeper emotion. Journaling can start to unravel the situation and support you in a more fulfilling inquiry into yourself and your stress.
“When in Rome…” Going somewhere brings adventure, new ways of being and doing. Often we are pushed out of our comfort zone and into something that can open our minds into seeing new possibilities. We may never be the same again.
- Take time each day to pause and check in. What are you learning from being in this new place. How can you absorb your surrounding, culture, people through the witness mind?
- Stay centered. Being centered while on the move is not easy. Set aside a few minutes a day to focus on your breath and body. TUNE IN. A simple practice can go a long way.
- Remember to LET GO. Travel adventures are unpredictable, spontaneous, and exciting. The beauty is in the mystery. The more you can LET GO of expectation, the more you can roll with the adventures completely and have a blast.